Michigan HOA Lawyers
Adam Toosley, Member
Adam Toosley is a Member at Hirzel Law and focuses his practice on real estate litigation, zoning and land use, construction, and financial services litigation. He oversees the Traverse City and Grand Rapids locations. Over the course of his career, he has represented owners, landlords, condominium associations, lenders, and all parties in the construction chain. Mr. Toosley handles all aspects of real estate-related disputes, including construction defect cases, payment, landlord-tenant disputes, real estate foreclosures, mechanic’s lien cases, fraud, and business tort claims in state and federal court. Mr. Toosley also handles mediations and arbitrations throughout the United States.
Mr. Toosley has handled over 2,000 cases in Illinois, Wisconsin, Michigan, New York, Tennessee, Nevada, and Arizona in the past 20 years. He has taken or defended over 500 depositions and argued at the appellate court level in front of the Illinois Supreme Court. Mr. Toosley is also a member of the Grand Traverse-Leelanau-Antrim Bar Association.
Mr. Toosley has authored three chapters in the Illinois Institute of Continuing Legal Education on representing parties in a construction project (surety, lender and owner), and led the Real Estate, Construction, and Workout Litigation Group at Freeborn for the past five years.
- Illinois Super Lawyer “Rising Star” (2010-2014)
- Illinois Super Lawyer in Commercial Litigation, Banking, Business Litigation, and Construction (2015-2021)
- Illinois Leading Lawyer (2017-2022)
- Michigan Leading Lawyer (2022)
- New Developments in Michigan Real Estate Law: Including the Scope of Easements, Instructor (Live, 2 hour Continuing Education Webinar – February 17, 2022).
- Moderator at the 5th Annual Bisnow: Chicago Construction & Development: The Latest Projects Transforming Chi-Town’s Skyline (August 29, 2017).
- 2019 Issue of Leading Lawyers Magazine for Real Estate, Construction & Environmental Edition
- Draft Documents: How A Freeborn Partner Is Helping A Nonprofit Brew Up History
- “Owners and operators of ATMs take notice or pay the price for Automated Terrible Misfortune,” Illinois State Bar Association, Business and Securities Law (January 2006) (co-author)
- “Forum Selection Clauses in Equipment Leases,” Equipment Leasing and Financing, (May 25, 2011)
- “Representing the Parties to a Construction Project 2015,” Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Chapter Author, (September 2015)
- “Client Alert: Force Majeure Clauses in Construction and Other Commercial Contracts in the Age of COVID-19,” Illinois State Bar Association, Construction Law (April 2020) (co-author)
- “Representing the Parties to a Construction Project 2020,” Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Chapter Author, (September 2020)
- “Construction Law Disputes,” Illinois Institute for Continuing Legal Education, Chapter Author (November 2021)
University of Illinois College of Law
University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
Bachelor of Arts, Speech Communications
- State Bar of Michigan
- State Bar of Illinois
- United States Supreme Court
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Wisconsin
- United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Member of Trial Bar)
- Bankruptcy Court for the United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- United States District Court for the Southern District of Illinois