Condominium and homeowners associations (HOAs) are small, non-profit corporations that sometimes face complex challenges. If not properly addressed, these issues can snowball into time-consuming affairs that deplete financial resources and cause unneeded stress.
At Hirzel Law, PLC, our team of condo and HOA lawyers are experienced in condominium law, homeowners association law, community association litigation, and real estate law. Our team of condo and HOA lawyers can actively represent condominium and homeowner associations, individual owners, and co-owners in Plymouth, Michigan.
Legal Counsel Serving Plymouth, Michigan Condos and HOAs
Due to the ever-evolving legal landscape, it can be challenging to understand the appropriate application of laws and regulations governing Plymouth, Michigan condominium and homeowners associations. At Hirzel Law, PLC, our team of condo and HOA lawyers understand the laws governing Michigan community associations and that the needs of every community association are different, posing their own set of unique challenges. The condominium and homeowners association lawyers at Hirzel Law, PLC can help Plymouth, Michigan community associations with the following:
- Amendment and enforcement of bylaws, covenants, declarations, and deed restrictions
- Collection of unpaid dues and assessments
- Compliance with federal, state, and local laws, governing community associations such as the:
- Condominium construction defects
- Developer turnover
- Drafting and review of third-party contracts
- Establishment of condominium rules and regulations
- Fair Housing defense
- General counsel
In addition to Hirzel Law, PLC Managing Member, Kevin Hirzel’s guide to operating a Michigan Condo or HOA, the team of condo and HOA lawyers at Hirzel Law, PLC can help provide Plymouth, Michigan condominium and homeowners associations with the additional education and representation necessary to successfully operate their homeowners association.
Lawyers Amending Plymouth, Michigan Condominium and Homeowners Association Bylaws
Clear, updated HOA bylaws are an essential component of any community association’s governing documents. The bylaws governing Plymouth, Michigan condo and homeowners associations determine how owners and co-owners can enjoy their property or common elements. Unfortunately, as time passes and the community evolves, these regulations can become outdated. Common indicators that a community association is due to amend their bylaws include:
- Articles of incorporation are dated before January 15, 2018
- The bylaws were drafted by the subdivision developers’ attorney
- Current issues are not addressed
- Presence of conflicting provisions
- Absence of adequate enforcement mechanisms
- Unclear or convoluted language
- The covenants, declarations, or deed restrictions are difficult to amend
The process for amending bylaws in Plymouth can be complicated, but possible and less stressful with the help of a condo or HOA lawyer. The steps for amending condo or HOA bylaws in Michigan include:
- Completing questionnaire for input
- Submission for first draft to the community association board
- Community association board approval of draft and an information meeting is held for owner feedback
- Vote or signatures (some HOA documents only require signatures)
- Recording if approved
The condo and HOA lawyers at Hirzel Law, PLC can help Plymouth, Michigan community associations determine if it is time for their HOA bylaws to be amended and the best course of action in doing so.
Experienced Condo and HOA Lawyers Serving Plymouth, Michigan Clients
The team of attorneys at Hirzel Law, PLC is composed of award-winning condo and HOA lawyers that can offer quality representation for Plymouth, Michigan condominium and homeowners associations. Regardless of if you are a condominium developer, own a home in a community association, are a co-owner in a condominium association, or serve on a community association board, our lawyers can help.
We fully understand how unique and complex the challenges that condominium and homeowners associations may face and our condo and HOA lawyers are prepared to help. Contact Hirzel Law online or call 248-986-2921 (Farmington) or 231-486-5600 (Traverse City) or 616-319-9964 (Grand Rapids office) to learn how our Michigan condo and HOA lawyers can help your Plymouth, Michigan community association today.