Michigan Condo Lawyers
Matthew Heron, Member
Matthew W. Heron
Location: 37085 Grand River Ave., Ste 200
Farmington, MI 48335
Tel: (248) 397-6596
- CitiMortgage v Catton, et al, 295 Mich App 72; 813 NW2d 332 (2011) (establishing equitable subrogation for refinancing lenders in Michigan)
- United States v Aleo, In re Freeman, 681 F3d 390 (6th Cir 2012) (successfully obtaining reversal of sanctions against criminal defense attorney)
- Travelers Prop Cas Co of Am v Peaker Services, Inc, 306 Mich App 178; 855 NW2d 523 (2014) establishing that contractual liability exclusion under CGL policy limited to assumption of third party liability)
- Rios v PNC Mortgage, et al, unpublished opinion per curiam of the Court of Appeals, issued June 9, 2015, (Docket No 320762) (affirming dismissal of suit on plaintiff’s motion for preliminary injunction)
Mr. Heron is heavily involved in his community. He is a charter (though former) member of the Lyon Area Rotary Club, a member of the Northville Chamber of Commerce, a member and past Chair of the U.S. Courts Committee of the State Bar of Michigan, a member of the Land Use and Zoning Committee of the Real Estate Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan, a former member of the Human Rights Committee of the International Law Section of the State Bar of Michigan, a member of the Northville Township Economic Development Corporation and Brownfield Redevelopment Authority, and coach of his daughter Kendall’s travel softball team.
- AV Rated by Martindale Hubbell – Highest possible rating for skill and ethics based upon peer review.
- Avvo Rating of Superb – 10.0/10.0
- Leading Lawyers – “Top Lawyer in Michigan” for Real Estate Law. The distinction of being a Leading Lawyer has been earned by fewer than 5% of all lawyers licensed in Michigan. (2022)
- Michigan Lawyers Weekly – “Go To Lawyer” in Real Estate Law and Condo Law. (2022)
- Carol Lundberg, State to Share in $25B Settlement, 26 Mich Law Weekly 15 (Feb 20, 2012).
- Carol Lundberg, Foreclosure in 2012: Trickle or Tsunami, 26 Mich Law Weekly 10 (Jan 16 2012).
- Carol Lundberg, Local Authority Not on Solid Ground: Legislature Passes Bill that Puts Zoning in State’s Hands, 25 Mich Law Weekly 37 (July 25, 2011).
- Brian Frasier, Saving Your Spot in Line, Successors to Original Mortgage Can Keep Priority After Refinance, 26 Mich Law Weekly 7 (Dec 26, 2011).
- Ed Wesolowski,CGL Policy Applies Because Insured Assumed its Own Liability, __ Mich Law Weekly __ (July 23, 2014).
- Ed Wesolowski, Specific Performance Ordered in Condo Unit Sale Case, __ Mich Law Weekly __ (Oct 15, 2014).
- Naming Names During Condo / HOA Vote Counting , and What to Include in Minutes, HOAleader.com, (January 2022).
- Tips to Protect Against Personal Liability While You Serve on Your Condo / HOA Board, HOAleader.com, (January 2022).
- How You Can Ease the Pain of Condo / HOA Budget Increases, HOAleader.com, (January 2022).
- Act Now for a Smooth 2022 Holiday Season: Condo / HOA Package Delivery Dos and Don’ts, HOAleader.com, (January 2022).
- 5 Ways to Fight Condo / HOA Budget Hikes, HOAleader.com, (January 14, 2022).
- Matthew W. Heron, Public Employment Law in Michigan and the Unfair Labor Practice Strike, Michigan State University College of Law Student Scholarship, 2002, available at http://digitalcommons.law.msu.edu/king/22/ .
- Matthew W. Heron, The Iraqi Refugee Crisis and United States Refugee Policy, Mich Int’l Lawyer, Fall 2007, at 1-8.
- Matthew W. Heron and Richard A. Sundquist, Legislature Limits Municipalities’ Ability to Prevent Gravel Mining, State Bar of Michigan Real Property Law Section E-Newsletter, September 2011.
- Matthew W. Heron and Richard A. Sundquist, Court of Appeals Revitalizes Limited Application of Equitable Subrogation, State Bar of Michigan Real Property Law Section E-Newsletter, July 2012.
- State Bar of Michigan – Real Property Law Section Summer Conference, Crystal Mountain, July 2018.
- How to manage your Association’s Risk and Insurance! Suburban Collection Showplace- Diamond Center, Novi MI, March 2019.
- Is it time to amend your governing documents?, Farmington MI, April 2019.
- Director Boot Camp – Condo 101, Novi MI, May 2019.
- Is it time to amend your governing documents?, Webinar, March 2020.
- Voting in The Zoom Era: Electronic Voting for Community Associations, Webinar, May 2020.
- Reopening Your Community Association After Coronavirus, Webinar, June 2020.
- Document Amendments, Webinar, October 2021.
- 2021 Legislative Update, Webinar, December 2021.
- 2022 Legislative Update, Webinar, January 2023.
- Funding Deferred Maintenance Projects and How Reserve Studies Have Become Essential, CAI Michigan 2023 Conference & Expo, March 2023.
- Matthew W. Heron, Public Employment Law in Michigan and the Unfair Labor Practice Strike, MICHIGAN STATE UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF LAW STUDENT SCHOLARSHIP, 2002, available at http://digitalcommons.law.msu.edu/king/22/
- Matthew W. Heron, The Iraqi Refugee Crisis and United States Refugee Policy, MICH. INT’L LAWYER, Fall 2007, at 1-8.
- Matthew W. Heron and Richard A. Sundquist, Legislature Limits Municipalities’ Ability to Prevent Gravel Mining, STATE BAR OF MICHIGAN REAL PROPERTY LAW SECTION E-NEWSLETTER, September 2011.
- Matthew W. Heron and Richard A. Sundquist, Court of Appeals Revitalizes Limited Application of Equitable Subrogation, STATE BAR OF MICHIGAN REAL PROPERTY LAW SECTION E-NEWSLETTER, July 2012.
Michigan State University – Detroit College of Law
Juris Doctor, summa cum laude, 2002
- Charles H. King Fellowship
- Law Review
- Co-Champion Spring 2000 RWA Oral Advocacy Competition
- Edwin H. and Theresa Oehmke Award
- Alumni Association Award
Michigan State University
Bachelor of Arts, Eli Broad College of Business, Economics 1997
Bachelor of Arts, James Madison College, International Relations, 1997
- State Bar of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan
- United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan
- United States Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals